Saturday, July 31, 2010

Why do I want to talk about this?

I have to admit that sometime I wonder why I even want to talk about something as painful as the financial crisis. Why do I want to put a face on it?
I remember when I was a girl hearing about the Great Depression...but I don't remember anyone ever talking about it. Not in a way that made it real to me. I wondered how did the Great Depression happen? Will it happen again? How can I tell if it will or won't? The whole thing was clouded in some kind of mystery.
Here we are in the greatest financial disaster that I will have ever known personally.
When the housing crisis was going on in 2006-2008 my husband and I used to follow it on housing panic. We tried to predict different things about the leading indicators....not for speculation but for personal career and positioning. We didn't speculate in housing. We rented and for the most part always have. We are one of those cheapskates next door.

So in reading the news and following the housing bubble I became interested in the house of cards that held our economy together. I wanted to high light this crisis that was going to effect my generation and the generation to come.

Another thing that came into play is that before I signed up for this project I had been doing faces. At first I was doing faces of current people that were in the news such as Ben Bernanke, George W. Bush, Ted Kennedy and even Richard Fuld. I wanted to continue to get better at doing hand caved faces. My ultimate goal is to do the homeless and hurting faces of this crisis.


I don't write what the "personal descriptions" of the people that I am carving. I do research and then let others that I link to and quote do the telling of the story. I don't see myself as a writer and my goal is to get better at hand carved faces. I don't want to get bogged down in wordsmith. I try to find main stream sources for my text however and not just people that have a gripe. It is not my place to judge...I just want to put a face and a story to the events that have unfolded in my life time.

1 comment:

  1. Very well written...and good questions!
    Nothing wrong with wanting to understand the past to help understand the future.

    ReplyDelete